Eleven Madison Park
Eleven Madison Park is a plant-based fine dining restaurant that overlooks Madison Square Park in New York City. First opened in 1998 as a French brasserie, the restaurant has been headed by Chef Daniel Humm since 2006 and owned by his company Make it Nice Hospitality since 2011. Eleven Madison Park has evolved significantly under his leadership both in food and in experience, earning several accolades including 4 stars from the New York Times and 3 stars from the Michelin guide.
In 2021, Eleven Madison Park reopened its doors post-pandemic as a completely plant-based restaurant. The desire to reinvent and push the boundaries of fine dining has always been at the heart of Eleven Madison Park, and the team is committed to showcasing our respect for the craft through the precision of our cooking, the elegance of our service, and the passion for our work.
Reports to: Chef de Cuisine and Executive Sous Chef
- Line cooks
- Prep cooks
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise the hourly line cooks, commis, and externs as they prepare their daily mise en place and prep mise en place
- Ensure that the walk-in coolers and dry storage spaces are kept clean and organized in accordance with Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) guidelines and restaurant guidelines
- Taste the daily mise en place to ensure proper seasoning and quality
- Lead an assigned station to ensure that all line cooks are preparing and plating the dishes properly
- Work in conjunction with the dining room and kitchen expeditor to ensure proper timing of all courses leaving the kitchen
- Work in conjunction with the Chef de Cuisine and porter team to ensure that all equipment and facilities are maintained in accordance with building standards and basic service standards
- Maintain the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) documentation focusing on data entry and daily upholding of standards
- Assist in interviewing potential kitchen employees when needed
- Actively seek out new members for our kitchen team to ensure a proper foundation as the restaurant grows and develops
- Act as the primary supervisor of line cook, commis, and extern teams and facilitate their growth via skills training and daily mentorship
- Support the Chef de Cuisine with the development of new dishes
- Assist in writing and costing recipes for menu
- Develop new techniques for each dish as they become necessary
- 3+ years Michelin-star restaurant experience required
- 3+ years management experience required
- Advanced and accurate knife skills
- Ability to read and follow recipes and standards
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Capability to teach and mentor others
- Ability to work independently and coordinate multiple tasks
- Experience with a variety of cooking styles and techniques
- Ability to adapt and make decisions quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
This job description above does not list each and every job responsibility of a Sous Chef. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as necessary.